I am sure you know this saying.
As the population is aging there are increasing numbers of highly skilled, ex corporate men and women leaving city jobs to opt for tree or beach changer lifestyles. At mid 40’s or even into their early 60’s they are not yet ready to retire but no longer want to put up with the grind that is long hours of corporate employment. They have amazing skills, a desire to keep active and a great deal to offer the business world.
They are often so skilled and so good at what they do that their one person business takes off and soon they are back staring at every reason why they left corporate life.
- Employing and managing staff
- Long hours trying to meet the demand
- Families again being pushed into the limited time that is left after they finish working
- Only being able to stare at the beautiful beach they have moved to enjoy
- Unable to take time off for a nice relaxing holiday. If they do get one it is with an ipad or mobile phone keeping them connected and never fully switched off
- Always saying to their families “I just have to do this work now. I will be ready soon to…..”
So can you have your cake and eat it as well?
Is the only answer to say no to all that work that is being offered to you?
Your options are:
- Say no to the work being offered and raise your prices as clearly you are in high demand. Become more exclusive.
- Go back to being everything you hated from when you were in corporate life and working all those hours per day
- Partner up with another business you can refer overflow to
- Hire staff and grow bigger
- Hire Independent contractors who will work with you on the overflow – build a team around you.
- Hire an online business manager/project manager who can design and run systems that will automate the flow and allow you to concentrate on what you do best.
Which one of these is right for you?
Only you know the answer to that. So trust your instinct to tell you what is right for you and your family right now.